About the Promise
The Rusk TJC Citizens Promise began as a vision of the Perkins family as a way of giving back to their hometown of Rusk, Texas. The vision became a reality in February 2014.
When it began, the TJC Citizens Promise was one of only 23 Promise programs in the United States and the first community-based promise program in Texas. The program provides Rusk graduates with $4,000 per year for a maximum award of $8,000 over two years at TJC.
The program is a partnership between Citizens 1st Bank, the Perkins Family Foundation, TJC, the TJC Foundation and Rusk ISD.
During their Senior Year, student who accept he Promise receive:
- Monthly visits to RHS by the scholarship coordinator for important information on the college admission process, scholarship requirements, financial aid, and all other things related to TJC.
- Special workshops by TJC financial aid staff for one-on-one assistance in completing the FAFSA.
- Graduate from Rusk High School in top half of class with a minimum 2.5 GPA (based on rank at completion of junior year)
- Reside within Rusk ISD
- Attend RHS for grades 11 and 12
- enroll as full-time TJC student each fall and spring semester (at least 12 credit hours)
- Complete at least 67 percent of enrolled credit classes each semester and maintaining a minimum 2.0 semester GPA and 2.5 cumulative GPA
- If criteria is not maintained, a student may be reinstated after he/she pays own expenses for one semester and meets all requirements
At TJC, Rusk Promise Students Receive
- Individual monthly progress meetings with Rusk Promise scholarship coordinator
- First consideration for volunteer opportunities
- Free on-campus tutoring
- Degree plan review in advance of transfer/graduation
- Career counseling on resume-building and future job possibilities
- Graduates receive special cords signifying their participation in the Rusk TJC Citizens Promise program
Tyler Junior College is responsible for the administration of the Rusk TJC Citizens Promise.
All inquiries should be directed to:
TJC Scholarship Office PO Box 9020 Tyler, TX 75711-9020
White Administrative Services Center Corner of East Fifth Street And Baxter Avenue Phone: 903.510.3234